Spring has Sprung!

Spring has finally sprung!! However we do see lots of hazards around this time of year, (especially at Easter!) so please read the following to keep your pet happy and healthy!

 

Chocolate

Chocolate contains the ingredient theobromine which is poisonous to dogs in certain amounts. Dark chocolate contains much more theobromine per gram than milk or white chocolate, with white chocolate actually being more hazardous for the amount of fat it has in it! Chocolate in any form (biscuit, pudding etc. – even easter eggs!) can be potentially toxic.

 

Hot cross buns

Although its toxicity level is not know (some pets can eat loads and be fine but others only a few and can be seriously unwell), the raisins and grapes in hot cross buns can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats. If an animal has eaten any amount of raisins or grapes, we recommend making them vomit to expel whatever has been eaten due to this. After bringing up the contents of their stomach, we will sometimes (depending on the situation) recommend keeping them in on fluids for 24 hours to make sure that any residual toxins are flushed out.

 

Spring bulbs and plants

Many spring bulbs and plants, especially daffodils (even the water they sit in) can be toxic to both dogs and cats. Ingesting them can give them a bad bout of vomiting and diarrhoea, and even cause fits.Tulips can also irritate your dog’s mouth if eaten, and in severe cases cause breathing and heart problems.

 

Fatty foods

Although a nice bit of lamb sounds like a delicious treat for your dog at the dinner table, this and other bits of Easter dinner (roast potatoes etc.) contain high levels of fat which can lead to pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas, an organ important in producing digestive enzymes), which can be painful for your pet and make them very poorly. We also recommend to not feed cooked bones from any birds cooked over this period, as they can splinter and cause internal damage once eaten.

 

If you suspect your dog has eaten anything they shouldn’t have done, please give us or our out of hours service providers the Queen Mother Hospital at the Royal Veterinary College a call. We can then advise you as to whether your animal needs to be seen or not. Our number is 01727 226475, and the QMH’s number is 01707 669900.

 

 

Share