Pet travel to Europe after Brexit



Where does the UK stand now as far as Pet Travel to the EU goes?

Under the EU PETS (pet passport) scheme, Great Britain (GB) — England, Scotland, Wales, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man — is a Part 2 listed third country.

This means that a current EU pet passport issued in GB is not valid for travel to the EU or Northern Ireland (NI). However, the health information and vaccination history recorded in your pet’s passport remain valid.

How does the Animal Health Certificate (AHC) process work?

Your pet must be microchipped.

  • This will need to be checked/inserted prior to any rabies vaccines.  This can be done at the same appointment if required.

You must have a rabies vaccine.

  • Pets must be over 12 weeks old.  The rabies vaccine can NOT be given within 2   weeks of any other vaccination.
  • The vaccine we currently use lasts for THREE years before booster vaccination will be required

You CAN’T travel until 21 days AFTER the rabies vaccine.

  • This is very important as you will need to plan ahead.   Animals risk being quarantined if you travel within this 21 day period.

You need to know WHERE you will be entering the EU.

  • This is because we need to obtain the certificate in dual language – English AND the language of the point of entry to the EU.  Please note – it is the country you ENTER the EU and not your final destination.

You will need to see your vet within 10 days prior to travel.

  • The AHC is only valid for 10 days once it has been issued.  You need to plan ahead so you can get your appointment with us within the correct time window for your planned entry into the EU

We will need proof of rabies vaccination.

  • If your pet has a Pet Passport already, or you have had the rabies vaccine done at our practice then this will suffice as proof.  
  • However, if your pet has had a rabies vaccine at a different practice and you do not have an existing Pet Passport, then you may require a further rabies vaccine with us and a further 21 day wait.  We strongly suggest you check with us well in advance if you are not sure.

You will need to book a 45-minute appointment.

  • The new AHC is a complex and time consuming document.  Your vet will need plenty of time to examine your pet, complete and check the documents as well as copy and certify all the other paperwork required.

Your AHC is valid for 10 days for entry…

  •  into the EU and 4 months for onward travel.
  • However, this does mean that you will require a NEW AHC each time you want to travel to the EU.
    Even if this is within close proximity to a previous AHC being issued.

When RETURNING to the UK, your pet must receive a TAPEWORM treatment…

  • between, 24 and 120 hours (1 and 5 days) BEFORE re-entering the UK.   This will need to be recorded on the AHC certificate and possibly shown to officials at the UK border. 

We can help you with…

  • Rabies vaccination
  • Microchipping
  • Travel export documentation

How much does it cost?

  • This process is going to be more costly than the old Pet Passport System due to the complexity of the documentation and the time taken to complete and finalise all your documents.
  • Each appointment with the vet will be 45 mins long and the cost includes all your documentation at the end required to travel.   Please remember that this will be required every time that you want to take your pet to the EU.
  • The current price is £150.  For people travelling with more than one pet, each additional animal will cost £100 if done at the same time.  (Prices include VAT)

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us